With the Summer gathering heat, all motorcyclists must be looking towards the mountains for 2017, and busy packing their (saddle)bags. The tough question often becomes, what to pack / carry and what to leave out. I thought I shall try and make a comprehensive check-list for the use of all motorcyclists ; again its NOTHING NEW, almost all motorcyclists follow it; just that I am trying to put all thoughts together. Its better if a list is comprehensive; that way it’s easier to strike off an item that’s not necessary/ applicable rather than adding one. This is my thought and how I go about it. Please improvise individually depending upon your plans.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES AND FITMENT (INDIVIDUAL)
- A good engine/leg guard.
- Saddle stay.
- Knuckle Guard (if possible).
- Brake master cylinder guard.
- Oil Cooler (if you have) guard.
- Strengthened Bash plate (if possible).
- Auxiliary lights (if required) .
- Top Box (if required).
- Flag pole with flag (if required).
- Saddle bags / Panniers fitted.
- Front rail bags for FOL and water (if required).
- Tank Bag.
- Rain /snow cover for all bags.
- Mobile Charger fixed (if required).
- Mobile/ GPS mount (if required).
- Handlebar cushion (if required).
- Auxiliary horn (if required).
- Snow chain.
- Accelerator cable.
- Clutch cable.
- Brake cable.
- Spark plug.
- Wheel bearing.
- Headlight bulb.
- Brake pads.
- Chain master link.
- Spare brake and clutch lever.
- Spare gear shift lever with linkages.
- Spare tubes.
- Tube patch.
- Wire, Fevi kwik, M seal
RIDING GEAR AND ACCESSORIES (INDIVIDUAL)
- Helmet full face (with camera mounted if possible).
- Riding jacket (all layers).
- Gloves (with gauntlet).
- Inner thermal gloves.
- Boot Riding / DMS and socks.
- Bandana /mask/ riding balaclava.
- Carry dustbin bags and surgical gloves.
- Riding Trousers preferably or jeans with knee protectors.
- Rain Cape /poncho.
FUEL OIL LUBRICANT (GROUP)
- Arrangements for 10 litre spare petrol at least.
- Engine oil.
- Brake fluid.
- Chain cleaner spray.
- Chain Lubricant spray.
- 1 small grease packet.
FOOD AND DRINKS (INDIVIDUAL/GROUP)
- Drinking water.
- Energy snack bar / chocolate.
- Small glucose pack.
- Bottle of concentrate of 15 lemon juice, 3 spoon salt and 5 spoon glucose.
- Any Specific drinks (as per necessity).
CAMPING GEAR (IF REQUIRED)
- Ground sheet.
- Sleeping bag
- Foldable camp stool.
- Emergency light.
- Field knife.
- Messtin (with content).
- Small saucepan (if you cannot manage with messtins).
- Coffee, sugar cube.
- Tablet fire (if possible).
- Plastic/ disposable glass/ mug (if you cannot manage with messtin).
- Toilet tissue.
MEDICINE (ONE SET)
- Stomach upset (TZ).
- Muscle spray/ Gel.
- Dettol and cotton swab.
- Muscle sprain tablet.
- Gauze bandage.
- Crepe bandage.
- ODOMOS (individual).
- DIAMOX ( Mountain sickness).
- Oxygen (if possible).
PERSONAL CLOTHES / BELONGINGS
- Boxers 4.
- Socks 4 pair.
- Ts – 4.
- Jeans – 2.
- Shaving kit (do not forget a deo).
- Inner thermal set – 2.
- Few bungee chords.
- Adequate ropes.
- Mobile phone
- Power bank
- Specialized camera with case and stands.
Again, though the list may look too large, it’s not necessary to carry everything, improvise as per your need. Ride hard, ride safe.
Pls don’t delete this list from your site….it contains the most practical check for a motorcycle tour!
I would like to few small additions which will not be so much of a burden to carry.
1) Needles and thread
2) A pair of scissors/Swiss knife
3) Dettol hand wash and some soap paper
4) wet tissues (you never know …no. 2 emergency in the wilderness!)