1. On a daily basis, I receive numerous queries from motorcyclists of varying ages with physical fitness issues that are required for sustaining long rides. The most common complaints are :-
(a) Tiredness and exhaustion.
(c) Loss of concentration
(d) Frozen Shoulder and arms
(e) Bum ache.
2. I read through a lot in the Internet about the issue of Fitness for Motorcyclists and was NOT HAPPY with what I found. The net material does not cater for our Indian understanding of issues of fitness and requirements and hence I decided to write something on my own. I am also following what I am preaching, since I am personally bothered currently about the fitness issue. I can assure you, I have done adequate research to suggest the following programme, which will help in improvement of Core-Strength, Sustain weight loss and increase fitness and happiness. Whether you follow it or not, or modify as per your special requirement is your own choice.
3. Age and Love for motorcycling takes an obvious toll on physical fitness. Whenever one has free time, one would love to kick start the motorcycle and ride. Also, on long rides, the food habit often goes haywire with copious doses of beer and proteins. The obvious sufferer is the rider himself, and the outcome will be increase in weight and BMR, beer belly, physical discomfort. Hence it is important to set oneself up to a BALANCED PHYSICAL ROUTINE, which will obviously help a Rider to Live Long, Enjoy More Rides, Have Fun. The issue is even more relevant for 40 plus riders like me.
4. Today, I shall leave out the entire RIDING TECHNIQUE part (thats important too to obviate aches and pain) and only talk about a balanced routine how to keep oneself Fit to Enjoy Riding more. So, if the thought is in your mind, START TODAY. Its simple, doable and to get any result, its needs to be a slow sustained effort rather than a few days of sweating and giving up.
5. FIRST WEEK (5 days a week, 30-40 min per day)
(a) Cardio. Walk for 10 minutes, Walk and jog for 5 min, jump up and down for 1 min, calisthenics (hand and leg movement) for 2 min.
(b) Core Strength . Plank push up – 10, Lying both leg lifts -10, Sit up -10, Squat -10, calf lifts -10.
(c) Muscle Strength – Use two big Coca cola bottle filled with water as weights and do 10 shoulder lifts, 10 bench press and 10 bicep curls.
(d) Breathing & Meditation. 1 min short gasping breathing, 1 min medium breathing, 1 min long deep breath. Thereafter sit for 2-5 minutes absolutely quiet and comfortable remembering your best ride experiences.
6. SECOND WEEK ONWARD (5 days a week, 60 -80 min per day )
(a) Cardio. Walk for 10 minutes, Walk and jog for 10 min, jump up and down for 1 min, calisthenics (hand and leg movement) for 2 min.
(b) Core Strength . Plank push up – 20, Lying both leg lifts -20, Sit up -20, Squat -20, calf lifts -20.
(c) Muscle Strength – Use two big Coca cola bottle filled with water as weights and do 10 shoulder lifts, 10 bench press and 10 bicep curls AND REPEAT THIS CYCLE TWICE /THRICE.
(d) Breathing & Meditation. 1 min short gasping breathing, 1 min medium breathing, 1 min long deep breath AND REPEAT THIS CYCLE THRICE. Thereafter sit for 2-5 minutes absolutely quiet and comfortable remembering your best ride experiences.
7. For Fitness Enthusiasts, the following more can be added if they want :- (a) Surya Namaskar – 10 cycles (b) Yogasan – Bhujangasan, Parvatasan, Utthanpadasan, Ardha chakrasan, Bajrasan/ Supt Bajrasan and relaxation.
8. Health is wealth. Keep healthy, ride more.